(Mar. 17, 1880-Jan. 22, 1946). Larue Depew Carter was a neuropsychiatrist and neurology professor. Born in Westfield, Indiana, he graduated from the Medical College of Indiana in 1904. He interned at City Hospital and Philadelphia General Hospital. He completed his residency at Eastern Indiana Hospital for the Insane at Richmond.
In 1914, Carter joined the faculty of the 39th Division and as commanding officer of in France.(IUSM) as professor of neurology and served as chief of the neuropsychiatry staff at City Hospital. During , from 1916 to 1919 Carter served in the Medical Corps, first on the Mexican border with Pershing, then as division surgeon for the
Carter returned to the IUSM faculty and served as a consultant at Methodist, St. Vincent, and Veterans hospitals, as well as the Norway’s Sanatorium. His medical contributions came principally through teaching and service to the state through participation on numerous committees, not through scientific discoveries. He was president of the, Neuropsychiatric Association, Indiana Neurological Society, and Indiana Psychiatric Society, as well as a charter member of the Paul Coble Post of the .
In 1945 he served as chair of the Indiana Council for Mental Health and Governor Ralph F. Gates’ committee for the construction of a new mental screening hospital at Indiana University, a facility named for him. The original Larue D. Carter Memorial Hospital was abandoned in 1998 and demolished in 2010 to make way for construction of. Larue D. Carter Hospital then operated out of the old Veterans Administration Building, located at 2601 Cold Spring Road.