The Reverend Charles Oldham founded Lighthouse Mission in 1952, and the small gospel mission began operations in the 500 block of East Washington Street. It was incorporated in Indiana on June 16, 1955, as a nonprofit, Christian, nondenominational rescue mission caring for indigent men of the inner city. The organization had several locations in downtown Indianapolis throughout its history.
In 1991, the name changed to Lighthouse Ministries to better reflect its expanded mission. In the 1990s, Lighthouse provided meals, lodging, and clothing to the homeless, as well as training and case management. Lighthouse Ministries merged with, Inc. in 2006. Wheeler continues the Lighthouse Ministries’ tradition of assisting homeless men.