(Apr. 29, 1864-July 11, 1914). Dentist and second dean of the Indiana Dental College, George Edwin Hunt was born and educated in Indianapolis. He completed a two-year course in civil engineering at Indiana Asbury (now DePauw) University. After attending the University of Michigan and working with railroad construction in Florida for four years, he returned to study at the Indiana Dental College, graduating in 1890. He also obtained his degree in medicine from Indiana Medical College in 1892.
Hunt established a dental practice in the city and joined the board of the Indiana Dental College, which was begun and directed by his father,. In 1895, he assisted his father in acquiring the college’s stock and became secretary of the school as well as professor of dental pathology and therapeutics (see ).
Following his father’s death, Hunt took his place as dean of the college, which became part of the newly established University of Indianapolis (a short-lived confederation of Butler College, the Medical College of Indiana, and the Indiana Law School). In 1898, he founded the, a monthly publication that he edited until December 1900. He later edited .
In 1904-1905, colleague and college co-owner Dr. Harry Hicks sued Hunt, charging him with fraudulent issuance of stock. Resulting from an out-of-court settlement, Hunt acquired the school’s stock and its equipment, while Hicks obtained the title to the school building. Hunt continued as dean of the college until his death, and his widow retained ownership.
Besides his involvement in professional organizations, Hunt was active in numerous civic and fraternal groups. He was secretary of the(July 1901-February 1903) during which time he assisted in securing the establishment of . Between 1902 and 1906, he helped found and direct the Citizen’s League, which promoted the election of honest and responsible public officials.