(Nov. 18, 1846-Jan 14, 1927). A native of Independence, Missouri, Burford came to Indianapolis at age 15 to serve as a printer in the office of his brother-in-law, William Braden. In 1863, he returned to Missouri and joined the cavalry of the state militia, fighting guerillas until the end of the Civil War. Following the war, Burford entered a college in Missouri where he attended classes until 1867. He then returned to his job with Braden in Indianapolis.
In 1870, he became Braden’s partner, forming the firm of Braden and Burford. Buying out Braden in 1875, Burford changed the name to. Under his guidance, the company, headquartered at 40 South Meridian Street, eventually grew to be the largest printing concern in the state. Serving for many years as the state printer, Burford also handled all printing incident to sessions of the state legislature for over 30 years.
An active member of the Indianapolis, the Commercial Club, the , the Masons, and the Meridian Street United Methodist Church, Burford continued working until his death.