New Augusta is a town located in northwest Marion County, just northeast of Georgetown Road and 71st Street.
The Indianapolis & Lafayette Railroad built Augusta Station in 1852 as a link to the village of, a short distance to the east. In the next few years, a town grew up around the depot. It was named Hosbrook for one of the commissioners who platted the town, but some people referred to the area as Augusta Station. The U.S. Post Office settled the question in 1878, dubbing the town New Augusta.
New Augusta grew slowly over the years, peaking at around 200-300 residents. It celebrated its centennial in 1955 and counted three grocery stores, a feed and grain store, a small manufacturing plant, and several specialty shops. The New Augusta State Bank was also a fixture in the town until it was bought byin 1958.
Under, New Augusta became part of Indianapolis as an included town. Today, housing developments and shopping centers have enveloped the area, yet the community retains a number of original structures. Salem Lutheran Church, founded in 1836, has one of the oldest buildings (1880) in New Augusta. The railroad depot, though closed, also still stands, as do many old homes. These original structures earned New Augusta a place on the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District in July 1989.