The first, begun by Joseph A. Dynes and a Mr. Seifert, was an independent advertising sheet that lasted less than one year. On September 6, 1873, a second , known also as the , was started by John O. Hardesty, who served as editor.
The publication was sold to the Indianapolis Sun Company in 1874 and became a National (Greenback) Party journal under the direction of proprietor Edward S. Pope and editor T. R. Buchanan. In 1879, Pope became the sole owner and J. K. Speer took over the editorial department. The paper remained a National Party publication in 1882 when it was acquired by H. W. Burtch, but was discontinued in 1884.
A thirdappeared in 1888 and was run by the Sun Company, whose principal owners included Fred L. Purdy, the paper’s editor. This was an independent daily publication. Both the ownership and editorial duties changed hands several times between 1888 and 1912, with Purdy serving as editor on three separate occasions. In 1913, the paper was sold to G. H. Larke and W. D. Boyce. Under their ownership, the paper’s title was changed to the .
The Sun was first located at a plant on the south side of Ohio Street, between Pennsylvania and Delaware streets; its second location was on Georgia Street, between Meridian and Pennsylvania streets. The third and last location was at 214 West Maryland Street (where a plaque now marks the spot).
In 1914, Larke sold his interest to Boyce and J. W. Banbury, but not before a legal battle and much ill-feeling had ensued. On July 20, 1914, the new owners changed the title yet again and the paper became the(later the ). A fourth and short-lived was issued in 1936 with A. G. Buchanan as editor.