An early settlement in, Five Points derives its name from the angled intersection of three early roads that have maintained their names, Troy Avenue, Southeastern Avenue (formerly Michigan Road, S.R. 29, and U.S. 421), and Five Points Road. It is located seven miles southeast of Indianapolis’ .
The area was originally formed by four different contiguous land parcels purchased from the federal government within one decade of Indianapolis’ selection as the Indiana state capitol. Two parcels north of Troy Avenue were purchased by early settler John Vanderman in 1828.
John James Bellis purchased one parcel south of Troy Avenue and east of Five Points Road in 1828, and Thomas Bryan purchased the fourth south of Troy Road and west of Five Points Road in 1830.
In the 1820s and 1830s, Bellis’ Tavern was located just east of Five Points’ angled intersection. When the historic(Southeastern Avenue) was built, John Bellis’ log house became a station for watering and changing horses. A few years later, Bellis built a large log house with guest quarters.
In 1881, the H. A. Waterman Company, one of Marion County’s oldest businesses, was established in the area. Henry A. Waterman was an apprentice blacksmith inbefore he opened his own shop. In 1914, he enlarged his original 20-by-50-foot building to include a garage and added a hardware department and a truck and machinery repair building. The business, later run by his four sons and daughter, added farm tractors and machinery and lawn and garden equipment.
Five Points never officially organized as a town nor did the residents seek their own post office. Theis north of neighborhood. Nearby are Nativity Catholic Church and St. John Lutheran Church.