(Sept. 4, 1883-May 10, 1953). Born in Hadley, Indiana, Clifton A. Wheeler attended theand studied under American Impressionist both in New York City and in Europe. He was also a student of painter Robert Henri, a Cincinnati native who pioneered the Aschan School of American realism characterized by depicting urban life in an uncompromising brutalist style, while in New York.
In 1914, he joined the group of Indianapolis area artists to paint the decorative murals for the Indianapolis. Wheeler also painted the mural for the Carnegie Library in Thorntown, Indiana, and, in 1916, he created the classical mural above the marquee of the in downtown Indianapolis.
Wheeler was a frequent exhibitor in the, Indiana Artists Club, , John Herron Art Institute, and Richmond Art Association annual shows. He won numerous awards in these competitions, including the Foulke Prize at the Richmond show in 1917 as well as the Holcomb Prize (1923) and Indianapolis Art Association Award (1924) at the Herron Institute exhibitions of Indiana artists.
Residing in the Indianapolis eastside community of Irvington, Wheeler was associated with theof artists who held annual exhibitions from 1928 to 1937. He was also a member of the Society of Western Artists, the Indiana Artists Club, the Portfolio Club, and the .
Wheeler taught classes at the Herron School of Art until 1933, and thereafter was an art instructor atin Indianapolis. He spent many of his summer vacations sketching and painting the Rocky Mountains and the Smoky Mountains in oil and watercolor. Other favorite subjects for his paintings were Brown County scenes and the common views around Irvington, especially along Pleasant Run Creek.
Besides his public murals, Wheeler’s work is located in the permanent collections of the, Ball State University, , Purdue University, Indiana University, the , and the . His paintings can also be found in the homes of many Indianapolis area residents.