(Nov. 12, 1787-Aug. 9, 1851). Douglass moved to Vevay, Indiana, from Philadelphia in 1820. He had learned the printing trade as an apprentice in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in the early 1800s. After a year in Vevay, Douglass moved to Madison where he published a paper with William Carpenter. He soon left Madison for Corydon where he was elected state printer. In 1824, he and state treasurerleft Corydon for the new state offices in Indianapolis.
Upon his arrival in the capital, Douglass became associated withand the through his purchase of a substantial interest in that weekly publication. The next year Douglass changed the newspaper’s name to the . He and Maguire worked together at the until Maguire sold his interest to Samuel V. B. Noel in 1835. During the 1830s, the paper became increasingly pro-Whig, and in 1840 Noel and Douglass published a Whig campaign paper called the . Douglass sold his interest in the to Noel in 1843 and lived in retirement until his death.