First published January 11, 1825, byand after they purchased, enlarged, and changed the name of the (1823). The paper was anti-Jacksonian, then pro-Whig, and later a voice for the .
Thealternated between tri-weekly, twice-weekly, and daily issues during the early 1840s and produced dailies during legislative sessions after 1842. On April 21, 1851, it became the first paper in Indianapolis to publish a regular daily issue. Until the late 1850s, it consisted mainly of political news but then began to include local items.
On November 8, 1864, the paper, then the, under editor was the first to carry the news of Sherman’s burning of Atlanta. Other newspapers reprinted the story but mainly discounted it because Indianapolis was not a center for war news. Holloway received a visit from a member of General Grant’s staff wanting to know the source of his information. Holloway refused to name the officers who had given him the information and claimed that the War Department also had plans for a similar investigation, which outranked Grant’s probe. The matter was dropped shortly thereafter.
Thepurchased many of the early papers in the city including the in 1861, the in 1867, the in 1871, the in 1879, and the in 1886. The became a short-lived evening edition after its purchase.
The paper changed owners, editors, and names frequently until June 1904, when Charles S. Henry, owner of the paper for less than two years, sold it to the Indianapolis Star Company. Although published briefly under the name, by October had been dropped from the title.