(Oct. 23, 1902-Mar. 21, 1993). Born in Providence, Rhode Island, and educated at Brown University, William Dyer worked as director of general advertising for thebefore coming to Indianapolis in 1944 as vice president and general manager of the . In 1948, he became vice president and general manager of recently formed Indianapolis Newspapers, Inc., and a member of the board of directors of Central Newspapers, Inc. He retained these positions until 1975 when he was promoted to president of both organizations as well as of Muncie Newspapers, Inc., positions which he held until his death.
Dyer served on the boards of the Bureau of Advertising, the Research Institute of the American Newspaper Publishers Association, and the Metropolitan Sunday Newspapers, Inc. A recipient of journalism awards and honorary degrees. Dyer was inducted into the Indiana Journalism Hall of Fame in 1982. The following year, he was named a life member of the board of directors of the Community Health Services Foundation and received a distinguished service award from the Boys Clubs of Indianapolis.
Over the years, Dyer was active in many local civic concerns, serving as director and former president ofFoundation, vice president of the of Indianapolis, president and board chairman of of Greater Indianapolis, and a director of the Indiana Convention and Visitors Bureau (see ). He also served on the boards of the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the Boys Clubs of Indianapolis (see ). A trustee emeritus at Brown University, Dyer endowed the university with a $1 million academic chair.