(Sept. 27, 1905-Dec. 30, 1988). A lifelong resident of Indianapolis and a graduate of, Efroymson received a B.A. (1926) and L.L.B. (1929) from Harvard University. He returned to Indianapolis, practiced law until 1942, served in World War II, and in 1945 accepted a vice presidency with . Succeeding his father as president of the company in 1946, Efroymson ended hosiery production by the mid-1950s and converted the business into an investment company, Real Silk Investments, Inc., which he operated until his death.
Named one of the 32 most influential people in the city in 1976 by the, Efroymson was noted for his involvement in numerous civic and philanthropic activities. From 1946 to 1988 he served as chairman of the board of the . As president of the Civic Progress Association during its first 3 ½ years from 1955 to 1959, he was one of the first to envision the downtown redevelopment plan that became known as the Riley Center.
As president of Community Hospital (see) from 1952 to 1959, Efroymson oversaw a campaign that raised $15 million for local hospital construction, with $5.2 million earmarked for Community Hospital. In 1964 he helped found the , and from 1964 to 1973 he chaired the ; during his tenure most of the city’s public housing projects were built.
Efroymson was a member of the board of directors ofand Lincoln National Corporation. He served on the boards of the Marion County Child Guidance Clinic, the English Foundation, the , and . He also served as president of the of Indianapolis, and in 1986 he and his brother, Dr. Clarence W. Efroymson, established the Moriah Fund (see the ), a private charitable foundation.