The originalwas Indianapolis’ first newspaper, appearing on January 28, 1822, with as editor and publisher. Initially, the was issued at irregular intervals due to poor lines of communication between Indianapolis and the surrounding region. During these early years, the paper was politically neutral.
On October 22, 1829, George L. Kinnard became editor and the name was changed to the. Soon the paper took a pro-Democratic political stance by supporting the beliefs of Andrew Jackson. In March 1830, Alexander F. Morrison acquired Bolton’s interest and the paper became known as the . In the early 1840s, it was renamed the .
The secondappeared in 1862 and was issued by Johnson H. Jordan, J. C. Burnett, and Company. This publication had formerly been the and supported the . In 1866, Jordan sold the paper to the Gazette Company, owned by Abraham Smith, J. H. Tilford, and E. W. Halford. The paper changed hands several times before Charles P. Wilder acquired it in 1867. The journal halted publication later that year.
The third th century after changing owners several times. A fourth , inaugurated by Elmer S. Lenz in 1966, survived for only two months.was also a pro-Republican paper, founded in 1862 by Joseph A. Dynes and Company. The paper was terminated in the early 20