Citing the absence of adequate commercial reporting in local papers and the need to promote the interests of the Indiana Banking Association, Arthur F. Hall and stocks-and-bonds salesman Joseph T. Elliott Jr., started thein September 1895. Although its title was changed to the in May 1903, the paper continued its focus on markets, legal proceedings, and other business issues.
In April 1908, Fred L. Purdy, formerly of the, acquired the , enlarged its coverage, and dropped from the title. Over the ensuing decades, the paper passed through numerous owners including the Enquirer Printing and Publishing Company of which former governor was president and editor (1919-1920), and (1972-1979). The Indianapolis Daily Legal, Inc., acquired the paper in 1985. and continued publishing it as a daily.
In 1994, the(IBJ) took over the work of the Indianapolis Commercial. In addition to being the primary provider of business news in Central Indiana, the IBJ publishes the Indiana Lawyer and the .
The Court and Commercial Record includes recent lawsuits filed in the county, mortgages, building permits, sheriff sales, bankruptcies, etc., as did the. From 1994 to 1996, it appeared daily. Starting in 1996, the IBJ published the three times per week. In 2021, the publication is a weekly, available in print and digital formats.