Under the sponsorship of the State Board of Agriculture, thebegan in Indianapolis in March 1836, promoting improved agricultural methods among Hoosier farmers.
Moses M. Henkle, formerly publisher of the, a weekly agricultural journal, served as editor. He was later succeeded by John W. Osborn and Jacob S. Willets. The paper became the in 1837 and ceased publication in 1841.
Thebegan February 1, 1845, as a semimonthly agricultural and horticultural journal and a subsidiary of the , published by Samuel Vance B. Noel. , pastor of Second Presbyterian Church, was its first editor. Issued in a 16-page octavo form, the paper kept subscribers apprised of agricultural developments, breeds of animals, improved implements and machines, and horticulture. It also served as the medium through which Beecher criticized Hoosiers for maintaining slovenly habits and for failing to adopt modern methods and implements that would improve the productivity of their farms. Beecher’s growing fame added to the popularity of the paper and helped it gain a national reputation. Indianapolis benefited indirectly from Beecher’s editorship since he received samples of non-native seeds and nursery stock, which he planted in his orchards and flower beds.
On January 1, 1846, themerged with the Cincinnati-based , which allowed Beecher to issue papers under the same name in both cities. The Indianapolis paper garnered over 1,200 subscribers by year’s end but ceased publishing in 1847 when Beecher departed Indianapolis for New York.
A second, published by J. G. Kingsbury and Company of Indianapolis, ran weekly from April 1871 to 1916.