In 1902, CARL G. FISHER and a circle of local automobile enthusiasts organized a driving club called the Flat Tire Group. Recognizing that motorists needed political representation to promote a system of paved roads, the Flat Tire Group reorganized in 1911, changing its name to the Hoosier Motor Club.

Hoosier Motor Club Meet at Monument Circle, 1908 Credit: Bass Photo Co Collection, Indiana Historical Society View Source

A year later, the club began publishing The Hoosier Motorist (which continued until 1979). In 1917, with nearly 500 members, the club affiliated with the American Automobile Association (AAA). This affiliation allowed the local organization to expand its services greatly. During the following years, the organization became the largest automobile club in Indiana with home offices located in Indianapolis.

By the 1960s, AAA Hoosier Motor Club served 50 of the state’s 92 counties and was one of three AAA affiliates in Indiana. By 1973, the club had over 140,000 members, and services included specialized Triptik maps, emergency road service, foreign and domestic travel arrangements, bail bonds, and safety education. In 1980, the Hoosier Motor Club became one of the first AAA affiliates to offer the AAA credit card, and in 1982, it became an official distributor of state license plates. In 1990, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles canceled the contract.

Hoosier Motor Club Truck, ca. 1920 Credit: Indiana Historical Society View Source

As of the 2020s, the Hoosier Motor Club had nearly 250 employees, served 50 of 92 counties, and generated around $73.8 million in sales. In 2021, the Hoosier Motor Club relocated from Lafayette to Indianapolis.

Revised June 2023

Help improve this entry

Contribute information, offer corrections, suggest images.

You can also recommend new entries related to this topic.