Charles II (June 6, 1862-Nov. 30, 1925) and Ferdinand (Dec. 9, 1860-Mar. 13, 1925). Charles Mayer II and Ferdinand L. Mayer were merchants of fine china, silverware, jewelry, and imported artware, ata store that their father Charles Mayer founded.
In 1840, Charles Mayer, a German immigrant, opened a store at 29 West Washington Street, where Charles Mayer & Company was later located. In their home at North and Illinois streets, where the Indiana Masonic Library Museum resides, the Mayer’s had the city’s first private floral conservatory.
Ferdinand and Charles Mayer were educated in a Moravian academy in Prangins, Switzerland, and at Greylock Institute, South Williamstown, Massachusetts. They joined their father’s business in 1879. Nine years later, Ferdinand, the older son, became a partner. Upon their father’s death in 1891, the sons assumed full management.
Both were active in business, civic, and social organizations. Ferdinand was appointed by Mayorto the city park board and was a “corporator” of from 1897 to 1915. He was also a co-founder of the Country Club of Indianapolis.
Mayer Chapel was begun in 1894 as a mission ofto young people in the area of the stockyards and the . Ferdinand Mayer’s generous financial support paid a large portion of the construction costs. The chapel honored his father, a longtime member of Second Presbyterian Church and a Sunday school teacher, trustee, and elder.