Formerly a village, Augusta is a neighborhood in Pike township located just north of 71st Street on Michigan Road. It was founded as a stopover for travelers on Michigan Road, about 11 miles northwest of . George Coble Sr. and Jonathan Ingo first settled in the area in 1829, though the town was platted in 1832 by David G. Boardman. Augusta may have taken its name from the firm that built the road, the Augusta Gravel Road Company. The village of Augusta was never incorporated.
During the 19th century, Augusta grew slowly. Most of its small businesses, such as grocers, blacksmiths, and dry goods purveyors, provided services for local farmers or travelers. Then, in 1852, the railroad bypassed the town. A depot was built a little over a mile away and sprang up 1.5 miles east, around the railroad and eclipsed the older settlement.
In the 1950s, suburban sprawl reached 71st Street and Michigan Road. Entrepreneurs brought a few small factories to the area. Augusta is a mix of residences, retail stores, and light industry. Modernization has left only a few reminders of the 19th-century community.. Shopping centers were built in 1957 and 1960 just south of Augusta at the intersection of
Help improve this entry
Contribute information, offer corrections, suggest images.
You can also recommend new entries related to this topic.