The American Collegiate Association (ACA) was founded in 1881 by Marion Talbot and Ellen Swallow Richards to provide women with greater access to higher education and careers. The organization’s purpose was “for practical education work, for collection and publication of statistical and other information concerning education, and in general, for the maintenance of high standards of education.”
In 1921, the ACA joined with the Southern Association of College Women (founded in 1903) to form the American Association of University Women (AAUW). AAUW accepts for membership any woman or (since 1987) man with a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
The Indiana branch, located in Indianapolis, was accepted into the AAUW in 1890. This branch was founded by. By 1913, the Indiana Branch was renamed the Indianapolis Branch, and a second branch was founded in Bloomington.
The Indianapolis branch promotes member education and self-development through programs and study groups. Noteworthy projects have included a book and toy exhibit at(1925); a campaign to expand services of the to the entire county (1962), which state legislation made possible in 1963; an (1972), continued by the ; help with radio station “Call for Action” (1972); development and distribution to libraries of a Child Care Directory (1979); and a conference for junior high school students, especially girls, on careers in the fields of math and science (1991).